Thursday, January 8, 2015

Snippets & Snatches


I remember my great aunt Madelene telling me

A young person never knows more than when they're 15

Years later I read this quote by Mark Twain (paraphrased)

When I was 16 I couldn't get over how little my father knew

But by the time I was 21 I was amazed at how much he'd learned!

Reflecting lately on this trying period in a young one's life

I wrote this poem:
 
  Adolescence

 
If I had my druthers

Adolescence would be skipped

Those helpful little children

Turning into restless snips

Days of being discontent

Useful habits gone

Like money poorly spent

 
Can't make up their minds

Know they must go forward

But hate to leave behind

 
Since we all have been there

It reopens our old pains

There is not one of us

Would choose those years again

 
If only they would benefit

From all that we know

As we try to help them

To blossom and to grow

 
Now as they become able

To make all things possible
and have so many choices

We hope they'll remember

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN

DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please click on 'older posts' to see all our posts! Thanks :)

The items we offer are as varied as the weather in these hills!
Hand-hammered copper jewelry, handmade wood case clocks, biscuit and rag quilts, handsewn infant gifts, handcrafted soap, & homespun tales and photos of our menagerie of four footed and feathered friends.




Copper earrings

Copper earrings