Friday, January 30, 2015

Snippets and Snatches.....

        



 
Back to the subject of Jonquils, those of you Facebook followers may recognize "An Old Woman in the Woods". She messaged me recently as to why she's planting more Jonquils and I quote  " I am buying more Jonquils ------- because I am determined to get them to grow --------so that maybe in the future someone will wonder how they got here but enjoy them no matter what."  Such a nice legacy. When I read this I was reminded of a very poignant story I read years ago. A husband was dying slowly and suspected he wouldn't make it until spring. He secretly enlisted friends to come and take his wife out for the day, on the guise of spelling her from her caregiver tasks. While gone each time, he planted and planted lots of Jonquils everywhere in their yard, hiding his handiwork with leaves. He did die that winter. Well imagine his wife's surprise to see those "harbingers of spring" coming up all over her yard as winters' gloom subsided. Only then did her friends come forward to tell her about her husband's secret. Yet another thoughtful way to leave a legacy! Something to smile about .
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Such lovely flowers! They make me excited for springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Old Woman in the WoodsJanuary 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM

    Awww.... so sad but yet so sweet ~ I love a living legacy !!

    ReplyDelete

Please click on 'older posts' to see all our posts! Thanks :)

The items we offer are as varied as the weather in these hills!
Hand-hammered copper jewelry, handmade wood case clocks, biscuit and rag quilts, handsewn infant gifts, handcrafted soap, & homespun tales and photos of our menagerie of four footed and feathered friends.




Copper earrings

Copper earrings